If you want to be a part of an industry that is in increasing demand, learning how to start a drug testing service can offer you a viable business opportunity. With more and more companies adopting a sober policy in order to keep their absence and theft rates low, the demand for drug testing services is on the rise. Depending on where you live, the rules and regulations for starting a drug testing company may vary, and the success of your drug testing service depends on both your compliance with these rules and your management skills. Read the steps below to find out how to start a drug testing service.
1. Contact your local health authority to find out what licenses you need in order to start a drug testing service.
2. Complete an accredited course for drug testing and take the state exam to become a licensed drug test provider. If you plan to offer full service drug testing, this will involve laboratory training in order to process blood, urine, and hair tests.
3. Determine what your market is.
4. Decide whether you want to bring your drug testing service to your clients, or whether you want them to come to you.
5. Write a business plan that includes your start-up costs, operation strategy, costs of staff, marketing, and materials. Calculate your projected income for the first 2 years.
6. Obtain the capital you need to start a drug testing service by applying for a small business loan from your bank or seeking funding from private investors.
7. Register your company with your city to obtain a business license. If you are hiring employees, apply for an employer's identification number, also referred to as EIN.
8. Choose your location, if appropriate. Make sure it has multiple cubicles for client privacy.
9. Buy equipment. The most basic equipment consists of specimen drug test kits, but for a more elaborate service, you'll need specialized laboratory equipment. You'll also need a good computer to keep records of every client.
10. Purchase liability insurance. Drug tests are often contested, and liability insurance will cover your legal costs in the event that you're sued.
11. Advertise your drug testing service at companies, counseling centers, schools, and sports clubs.
12. Open your drug testing service.